STUDY AREAS/SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH – Asthenopia or eyestrain
WHAT IT IS ABOUT AND HOW TO RECOGNIZE IT
It is a condition of ocular fatigue due to a prolonged use of electronic devices with blue light (computer, smartphone and tablet), but also to adverse environmental conditions or refractive defects (myopia, hyperopia etc.) that cause an excessive fatigue of ocular muscles and retina.
Usually during the use of these devices the attention and concentration is high and it could leads to a lower winking, decreased lacrimation and increased bother, redness and pain.
Usually this is a temporary condition and just a little rest is enough to already note an improvement. However a prolonged condition of stress could leads to a chronic soreness that makes the sufferer unable to concentrate properly and perform normal daily activities.
• wearing glasses with a degree of correction that takes account of the working distance;
• taking regular breaks when working at the computer;
• improving lighting in the room when using electronic devices, to avoid troublesome reflections;
• correcting your posture as it is known to have an effect on asthenopia;
• if necessary, instilling eyedrops that can lubricate the ocular surface continually;
ALWAYS ASK YOUR OPHTHALMOLOGIST