Eye floaters

What causes eye floaters and how to treat them

Eye floaters manifest themselves as black floaters in the eye that appear when the eyes move. These can arise/occur at any age and may persist throughout one’s lifetime.

What causes eye floaters?

Degeneration of the vitreous (the jelly-like substance inside the eye) causes eye floaters. The vitreous body is made of 99% water and the remaining 1% of collagen fibers, vitreous cells, hyaluronic acid, and proteins that constitute the scaffolding. Hyaluronic acid is one of the molecules present at a higher quantity and plays a vital role in supporting the collagen fibers and in retaining water molecules.

During degeneration and age-related phenomena, the production capacity of hyaluronic acid within the vitreous is reduced. Collagen fibers are not adequately supported and tend to collapse upon one another, creating accumulations. The vitreous body thus loses its transparency due to a reduction of the aqueous component.

Eye floaters may be caused by the aging processes, but also by myopia, injuries, bleeding and/or inflammatory processes (uveitis, diabetes). In severe cases, the floaters may occur due to a retinal detachment or following surgical procedures (e.g. (h3) eye floaters after cataract surgery). These cases may include flashes of light (phosphenes) induced by the tension that the detached vitreous body exerts on the retina.

Eye floaters treatment

  • drink lots of water, hydration is fundamental to maintain the integrity of the vitreous body;
  • maintain a healthy lifestyle, favoring fruits and vegetables and limiting fats;
  • shield your eyes from the sun because UV rays increase the progression of vitreous body degeneration;
  • use food supplements

Be sure to ask your ophthalmologist for advice.

Recommended product